A 44 year old lady is undergoing an abdominal hysterectomy and the ureter is identified during the ligation of the uterine artery. At which site does it insert into the bladder?
Superior aspect of the lateral side
The ureters enter the bladder at the upper lateral aspect of the base of the bladder. They are about 5cm apart from each other in the empty bladder. Internally this aspect is contained within the bladder trigone.
- 25-35 cm long
- Muscular tube lined by transitional epithelium
- Surrounded by thick muscular coat. Becomes 3 muscular layers as it crosses the bony pelvis
- Retroperitoneal structure overlying transverse processes L2-L5
- Lies anterior to bifurcation of iliac vessels
- Blood supply is segmental; renal artery, aortic branches, gonadal branches, common iliac and internal iliac
- Lies beneath the uterine artery